SEO (Search Engine Optimization) is one of the most popular techniques of digital marketing which is used to drive traffic to a website by improving its ranking in the SERPs or search engine’s result pages. For online businesses, it is an integral part of their marketing strategy and so, many organizations are looking to hire SEO professionals to achieve their business goals.
If you are preparing for a job interview for the post of an SEO expert, you must be aware of the cut-throat competition due to a high demand for the position. No matter how confident you are, this set of 20 SEO-related questions and answers will help you crack the interview, maximizing your chances of success.
1.What is SEO and how many types are there?
SEO refers to Search Engine Optimization is a process of improving the position or ranking of a website or a web-page in the search engine results page by using highly searched keywords.
There are two types of SEO:
- On Page Optimization
- Off Page Optimization
2. What is the difference between On-page and Off-page optimization?
On-page optimization is related to the content on your website & on-page optimization can be controlled by you while Off-page optimization is related to the backlinks which are placed on other websites & off-page optimization cannot be controlled by you, anyone in this world can give back the link to your website.
3. Name the different tools used in SEO?
The tools used in SEO are:
- Keyword Planner
- Google Webmaster
- WordPress Plugins Like Yoast SEO
- Google Analytics
4. What do you understand by the Webmaster tool?
Webmaster tool is a service provided by Google from where you can get information about backlinks, crawl errors, indexing data, search queries, CTR, etc.
5. What is the importance of using keywords or phrases in SEO?
Keywords or phrases are used by the search engines to show up the subjects over the internet when a user searches for them. Search engine first stores keywords in its database and when the search is done it then shows a suitable match.
6. What are Meta Tags?
HTML Meta tags are page data tags that are placed between the open and closing head tags in the HTML code of a document.
Meta tags are snippets of text that describe a page’s content; the meta tags don’t appear on the page itself, but only in the page’s code.
7. Name the four essential Meta tags in SEO and mention their character limits?
- Title Meta tag- 60 characters
- Description Meta tag- 150 characters
- Keyword Meta tag- 200 characters
- Robot Tag- NA
8. What is Googlebot?
GoogleBot is a type of software used by Google as a search bot for crawling & indexing a webpage.
9. Explain Black Hat SEO technique?
In SEO, Black Hat means using aggressive strategies violated by search engine guidelines in order to enhance a website’s page ranking in search engine result pages.
10. Why is Title Tag important in a website?
Title tags are important because they tell about the contents of a web page. It is only because of these tags that the search engine tells the user what is there on that page.
11. What is most important- creating content or building backlinks?
Both are equally important. Creating quality content is the first thing which is held responsible for ranking a page while building backlinks is essential for creating website authority as well as for improving the ranking.
12. What are the steps involved in optimizing a website?
The steps include evaluating the site’s current ranking quality for testing different copy styles or strategies and assessing the success of a campaign.
13. What is the most crucial factor in an SEO campaign?
Not one, but there are many factors significant to an SEO campaign that can be identified based on the specific goals of a campaign.
14. How to check whether your SEO campaign is working?
To verify whether an SEO campaign is working includes checking the website’s statistics which tell you the source of traffic. Another way is to carry out a search based on the relevant keywords and look for the search results. The number of search results displayed will notify you whether your campaign is successful or not.
15. What is LSI?
LSI or Latent Semantic Indexing is a method used to obtain the data by relating a particular word to its closest counterparts. Like, if you are looking for something with a keyword “CAR”, it will show all the results associated with this keyword, for example, car auctions, classic cars, car race, etc.
16. What process would you follow for developing an SEO growth strategy?
As an SEO specialist, my strategy would be something like:
- Defining objectives
- Knowing the target audience
- Categorizing keywords
- Tracking data and results
17. What will you do if your SEO techniques do not work?
To start with, I’ll try to do an analysis of the problem and resolve it by taking the following steps:
- I’ll see whether it is a new project and then re-check the keywords
- I’ll also look for relevant keywords
- If the webpage or website is indexed well and still not showing up on the first 10 pages of search engine result pages, then I will modify the page text, titles, and description.
18. Explain what is PPC?
PPC is an acronym for Pay Per Click. It is a kind of advertisement campaign hosted by Google. It is divided into two modules- CPC (Cost per click) and CPM (Cost per thousand impressions) using flat rate and bidding method respectively.
19. What is Bounce Rate?
Bounce rate is the percentage of visitors to a website who leave the site after viewing only one page.
20. What role do social media play into an SEO strategy?
Social media platforms like Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, etc. help in spreading a website’s reach faster, driving maximum and quality traffic, and enables the audience to share the content in their network.
These are some of the common questions asked in the interviews for the position of SEO. However, there are others too. But when you enroll with ADM, an institute which offers digital marketing courses in Pune, you will be offered guidance and 100% job assistance whether it is about preparing for such interviews or getting exposed to a network of agencies or companies.